Jim Meyering wrote:
I would not let the existence of limitations in such a tool block the
use of options to get better compression.

Glad to hear that, because by distributing a lzip tarball we can achieve both goals at once. Get better compression and make it easier for pristine-tar to reproduce the tarball.

But if it is an issue, then we can see it as an opportunity for
improvement of pristine-tar. The dictionary size is already readily
available via `xz -vv --list ...`, and if there is not yet a way to
directly derive that `pb=0` setting, I'll bet its use can be derived
without too much effort.

IIUC, pristine-tar does not have access to the tarball it is trying to regenerate. Am I missing something?

Best regards,
Antonio.