Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2016 09:42:14 -0400
From: Albretch Mueller <lbrt...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Corpora-List] Anchoring the Zeitgeist of an era ...
To: John F Sowa <s...@bestweb.net>
Cc: corpora@uib.no

On 9/12/16, John F Sowa <s...@bestweb.net> wrote:
> On 9/10/2016 10:18 PM, Albretch Mueller wrote:
>> Most interestingly, I would find the authoring by the many
>> "philosophical poets" (George Herbert, Pope, Milton, Young,
>> Blackmore) of the Humanistic Enlightenment...
>
> ... she found some interesting results by sorting the text
> in a linear time sequence (to untangle the flashbacks).  She found that
> Satan consistently used the pronoun 'we' in the early passages (when he
> hoped to get Adam and Eve on his side).  But in the later passages, he
> switched to the pronoun 'you'.

 Satan as the first politician? ;-)

 Yes, playing with grammatical persons (roles/characters/agency) is
part of what I was talking about but I am more interested in the
(somewhat more factual) references people use to base their points on
when they are trying to persuade other people (or themselves).

 When Aristotle explained poetry he spoke of "the cup of Ares" or "the
old age of the day" (all metaphors are persuasive in nature, anyway);
the paradigms respectively being "Dionysus' cup" and "days".

 I think the Zeitgeist of an era, the being <-> becoming dynamics
characterizing it; can be (somewhat) measurably, structurally gaged by
the  difference between those aspects of language usage. First those
two basic aspects of discourse must be split.

 As a scientist with some poetic muse I have always wondered about the
kinds of metaphors scientific cultures use as they compare to the
social ones used by poets, comedians, religious leaders and
politicians.

 Were the "philosophic poets" just parroting back, "translating",
"illustrating" scientific conjectures to the masses or do they deserve
credit of their own in the Adamization and generalization of concepts?

 Were there disconnects at times or were their kinds of persuasion
always matched back to the scientific ideas of the day?

 German romanticism was born and grown out of a deep sense of
inferiority vis a vis the French, but how exactly did the German
poetic sense differed from the French?

 There are many questions relating to consciousness studies that could
be researched that way.
~
 http://www.psu.edu/dept/inart10_110/inart10/aristotle.html

 POETICS|21 XXI
 Every word is either current, or strange, or metaphorical, or
ornamental, or newly-coined, or lengthened, or contracted, or altered.
By a current or proper word I mean one which is in general use among a
people; by a strange word, one which is in use in another country.
Plainly, therefore, the same word may be at once strange and current,
but not in relation to the same people.
 Sometimes too we qualify the metaphor by adding the term to which the
proper word is relative. Thus the cup is to Dionysus as the shield to
Ares. The cup may, therefore, be called 'the shield of Dionysus,' and
the shield 'the cup of Ares.' Or, again, as old age is to life, so is
evening to day. Evening may therefore be called, 'the old age of the
day,' and old age, 'the evening of life,' or, in the phrase of
Empedocles, 'life's setting sun.' For some of the terms of the
proportion there is at times no word in existence; still the metaphor
may be used. For instance, to scatter seed is called sowing: but the
action of the sun in scattering his rays is nameless. Still this
process bears to the sun the same relation as sowing to the seed.
Hence the expression of the poet 'sowing the god-created light.' There
is another way in which this kind of metaphor may be employed.
~
 lbrtchx