We are proud to announce that version 2 of the guidelines for Universal
Dependencies is now available at
http://universaldependencies.org<http://universaldependencies.org/>.

Universal Dependencies (UD) is a framework for cross-linguistically consistent
treebank annotation that has so far been applied to over 50 languages. It was
developed primarily to support multilingual natural language processing, but
the resources have proven useful for a wide range of studies that were not
foreseen originally, including research on language typology. Version 1 of the
annotation guidelines was released in October 2014 and has been used for 5
successive releases of treebanks (v1.0–1.4). After a period of intense
collaborative discussions, we have now released a new version that tries to fix
the problems encountered with v1 while maximizing backward compatibility in
order to ease the transition to the new version for all existing treebanks. We
are grateful to all the feedback we have received from the UD community in this
process. The first release of treebanks under v2 of the guidelines is planned
to coincide with the release of the training data for the CoNLL 2017 shared
task on UD parsing in March 2017. More information to follow soon.

Joakim Nivre
Marie-Catherine de Marneffe
Filip Ginter
Yoav Goldberg