[apologize for cross-posting]

DEADLINE EXTENSION ** 15 February 2018 **

CALL FOR PAPERS

LREC 2018 Workshop: Natural Language Processing meets Journalism
Miyazaki, Japan

***    http://nlpj2018.fbk.eu  ****

“Natural Language meets Journalism” is a workshop dedicated to the application
of NLP to analysis of news. The previous edition have revealed a series of
topics for which interesting and useful papers have emerged, consolidating our
belief that indeed NLP can be instrumental at all levels of news creation,
reading and digestion.

At this workshop we are welcoming papers exploring ways to improve the mass
media process, for journalists and readers as well. We anticipate papers that
report on state-of-the-art inquiries into the analysis and use of large to huge
news corpora. A news corpus is generally understood as scoping over newspapers,
social networks, the web, etc. The papers should present computational
techniques able to manage a huge quantity of information and/or to perform deep
analyses that extend over actual state of the art. We welcome reports on the
recent progress on overcoming the bottlenecks in open domain relation
extraction, paraphrasing, textual entailments and semantic similarity, and on
their results in analyzing news content. However, we are also greatly
interested in technologies for enhancing the communicative function of language
in this context more generally, including in computational humor, language
creativity for advertising, or plagiarism for example.

Topics

* Advanced NLP news applications
* Automatic temporal annotation
* Automatic advertising and slogan generation
* Causality and relatedness in news
* Crowd-sourcing information gathering and reporting
* Epochs and styles in journalism
* Entity and event linking in social networks
* Discourse similarity
* Detecting patterns in developing news
* Dissemination of news through social media
* Fact checking on corpus extracted information
* Fact Checking and Journalism Ethic
* Intelligent tools for journalists, publishers, news readers
*  Linking multi media information
* News and content recommendation and personalization
* New approaches to news commenting
* News summarization
* Analyzing and Detecting Biased Language
* Trust and credibility
* Tools, Platforms and Languages by/for Journalists
* Opinion changing and event drifting
* Patterns and cliché detection
* Plagiarism detection
* Political and social discourse analysis
* Predicting changes in news flow
* Propagandistic style detection
* Providing and encouraging information diversity
* Sense and discourse shifting
* Social media analytics for news
* Spotting important events on social networks
* Story tools and narrative frameworks
* Technologies for providing context to news
* Trend prediction

Important Dates

Submission date: 15 February 2018

Format
The LREC official format is requested. The recommended length is 4 pages, plus
references. The form of the presentation maybe oral or poster, while in the
proceedings there is no difference between the accepted papers.

Submission
Please submit your paper through the site:
https://www.softconf.com/lrec2018/NLP4Journalism/
The submission is anonymous. Each paper will be reviewed but at least two
independent reviewers.

Organizers
Octavian Popescu, IBM Research , US
Carlo Strapparava, FBK, Italy

Le informazioni contenute nella presente comunicazione sono di natura privata
e come tali sono da considerarsi riservate ed indirizzate esclusivamente ai
destinatari indicati e per le finalità strettamente legate al relativo
contenuto. Se avete ricevuto questo messaggio per errore, vi preghiamo di
eliminarlo e di inviare una comunicazione all’indirizzo e-mail del mittente.
material. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and
delete the material.