An ACL 2018 Workshop associated with the SIGBIOMED special interest group,
Melbourne, Australia, Thursday July 19, 2018

Workshop web site: https://aclweb.org/aclwiki/BioNLP_Workshop

IMPORTANT DATES
----------------------------
Submission deadline: Wednesday April 11, 2018 11:59 PM Eastern US
Notification of acceptance: Monday May 14, 2018
Camera-ready copy due from authors:  Monday May 28, 2018
Workshop: Thursday July 19, 2018

SUBMISSION INSTRUCTIONS
Two types of submissions are invited: full papers and short papers.
Submissions are due by 11:59 PM EST on Wednesday April 11, 2018.

Full papers should not exceed eight (8) pages of text, plus unlimited
references. These are intended to be reports of original research. BioNLP aims
to be the forum for interesting, innovative, and promising work involving
biomedicine and language technology, whether or not yielding high performance
at the moment. This by no means precludes our interest in and preference for
mature results, strong performance, and thorough evaluation.  Both types of
research and combinations thereof are encouraged.

Short papers may consist of up to four (4) pages of content, plus unlimited
references. Upon acceptance, short papers will still be given four (4) content
pages in the proceedings. Appropriate short paper topics include preliminary
results, application notes, descriptions of work in progress, etc.

Electronic Submission
Submissions must be electronic and in PDF format, using the Softconf START
conference management system at https://www.softconf.com/acl2018/BioNLP/

We strongly recommend consulting ACL new policies for submission, review, and
citation:
https://www.aclweb.org/portal/content/new-policies-submission-review-and-citation
  and using ACL LaTeX style files tailored for this year's conference.
Submissions must conform to the official style guidelines. Style files and
other information about paper formatting requirements are available on the
conference website, http://acl2018.org/call-for-papers/. Scroll down to “Paper
Submission and Templates.”

Submissions need to be anonymous.

Dual submission policy: papers may NOT be submitted to the BioNLP 2018 workshop
if they are or will be concurrently submitted to another meeting or publication.

KEYNOTE
Keynote presentation by Dr. Paul Glasziou
https://bond.edu.au/intl/profile/paul-glasziou

WORKSHOP OVERVIEW AND SCOPE
Over the course of the past sixteen years, the ACL BioNLP workshop associated
with the SIGBIOMED special interest group has established itself as the primary
venue for presenting foundational research in language processing for the
biological and medical domains. The workshop serves as both a venue for
bringing together researchers in bio- and clinical NLP and exposing these
researchers to the mainstream ACL research, and a venue for informing the
mainstream ACL researchers about the fast growing and important domain.
The workshop will continue presenting work on a broad and interesting range of
topics in NLP. This year we are expanding our interests, and in addition to the
topics listed below, we welcome submissions on the  lessons learned while
reproducing published results.

The active areas of research include, but are not limited to:
* Entity identification and normalization for a broad range of semantic
categories
* Extraction of complex relations and events
* Semantic parsing
* Discourse analysis
* Anaphora /Coreference resolution
* Text mining
* Literature based discovery
* Summarization
* Question Answering
* Resources and novel strategies for system testing and evaluation
* Infrastructures for biomedical text mining
* Processing and annotation platforms
* Translating NLP research to practice
* Theoretical underpinnings of biomedical language processing
* Research Reproducibility

Organizers:
  Kevin Bretonnel Cohen, University of Colorado School of Medicine
  Dina Demner-Fushman, US National Library of Medicine
  Sophia Ananiadou, National Centre for Text Mining and University of
Manchester, UK
  Jun-ichi Tsujii, National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and
Technology, Japan and University of Manchester, UK