Training Data Released - Second VarDial Evaluation Campaign

Within the scope of the VarDial workshop, co-located with COLING 2018, we are
organizing an evaluation campaign on similar languages, varieties and dialects
with multiple shared tasks.

We are organizing five shared tasks this year:

- (ADI) Arabic Dialect Identification: The third edition of the ADI task will
address the multi-dialectal challenge in spoken Arabic in broadcast news
domain. Previously, we have shared acoustic features and lexical word sequence
extracted from large-vocabulary speech recognition (LVCSR). This year, we will
add phonetic features, which will enable researchers to use both prosodic and
phonetic features, which are helpful for distinguishing between different
dialects.

- (GDI) German Dialect Identification: After a successful first edition of the
(Swiss) German Dialect Identification task in 2017, we organize a second
iteration of this task. We provide updated data on the same Swiss German
dialect areas as last year (Basel, Bern, Lucerne, Zurich), but add a fifth
"surprise dialect" for which no training data is made available.

- (MTT) Morphosyntactic Tagging of Tweets: This task focuses on morphosyntactic
annotation (900+ labels) of non-canonical Twitter varieties of three
South-Slavic languages -- Slovene, Croatian, and Serbian. Task participants
will be provided with large manually annotated and raw canonical datasets, as
well as small manually annotated Twitter datasets.

- (DFS) Discriminating between Dutch and Flemish in Subtitles: The task focuses
on determining whether a text is written in the Netherlandic or the Flemish
variant of the Dutch language. For this task, participants are provided with a
dataset consisting of almost 100,000 professionally produced subtitles for
movies, documentaries and television shows.

- (ILI) Indo-Aryan Language Identification: This task focuses on identifying 5
closely-related languages of the Indo-Aryan language family – Hindi, Braj
Bhasha, Awadhi, Bhojpuri, and Magahi. These languages form part of a continuum
starting from Western Uttar Pradesh (Hindi and Braj Bhasha) to Eastern Uttar
Pradesh (Awadhi and Bhojpuri) and the neighbouring Eastern state of Bihar
(Bhojpuri and Magahi). For this task, participants will be provided with a
dataset of approximately 15,000 sentences in each language, mainly from the
domain of literature, published over the web as well as in print.

To participate and to receive the training data (released March 12) please fill
up the registration form available at the workshop website.

The VarDial workshop will take place in August 2018 in Santa Fe, USA.

Best,
Marcos on behalf of the VarDial organizers

-----
Dr. Marcos Zampieri
Research Fellow
Research Group in Computational Linguistics
University of Wolverhampton, UK
http://pers-www.wlv.ac.uk/~u22984/