Call For NAACL Scholarship Applications To The Two-Week Undergraduate
Summer School At The 2018 Annual Jelinek Memorial Workshop On Speech
And Language Technology (JSALT)

The North American Chapter of the Association for Computational
Linguistics (NAACL) is again offering an exciting summer school
opportunity for a limited number of undergraduate students interested
in the field of Human Language Technology.

What is this scholarship for? A continuation of the Johns Hopkins
University CLSP summer workshop series from 1995-2017, JSALT brings
notable researchers and students together to collaborate on selected
research topics for six weeks, following a special two-week
undergraduate education session.  Those first two weeks provide
students with general introductions to the major areas of study within
the field of Human Language Technology (e.g., Natural Language
Processing, Automatic Speech Recognition, Machine Translation,
Information Retrieval), as well as sessions on specialized research
topics of current interest in the field.

What does the scholarship cover? The NAACL scholarship is used to
support undergraduate students from the Americas to participate in the
two-week summer school. Specifically, it covers the mandatory
registration and housing costs for the full duration. In addition, up
to $500 will be given to the student to offset travel and other
incidental costs. Additional travel support may be available for
students with exceptionally high travel costs.

Who can apply for this scholarship? Students must be enrolled or
pre-enrolled at an institution in the Americas to qualify. Preference
will be given to high-quality undergraduate students at a stage in
their careers during which attendance at the summer school will
provide maximum benefit; in particular, undergraduates who have
completed at least their junior year of study. Graduate and
Postdoctoral applications will not be accepted. Students who are
selected for the summer school are expected to attend all two weeks of
the summer school.

How do I apply for this scholarship? Easy! Fill in the form at
https://goo.gl/forms/sGj8lyc5IJ5rMHfE3 and arrange for one to two
short letters of reference to be sent to
naacl-jhu-works...@googlegroups.com by Monday, April 30, 2018.

Important Dates:
Summer School  Dates: June 11 (Monday) to June 22 (Friday), 2018
Summer School Location: Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, MD
Summer School Website: https://www.clsp.jhu.edu/workshops/18-workshop/

NAACL Scholarship Application Deadline: Monday, April 30, 2018 11:59pm PDT

This is a very firm deadline, and applications submitted prior to this
date will be much appreciated. The deadline also applies to reference
letters.  Applications with late references will not be
considered. The application form is here:
https://goo.gl/forms/sGj8lyc5IJ5rMHfE3

Notification date: Monday, May 7, 2018

Frequently-Asked Questions (FAQ):

Q: I am currently attending a university that is not in the Americas. Can I
apply?
A: As stated above, no. Since this is a NAACL sponsored event, it is
only available to undergraduate students enrolled or pre-enrolled in
institutions located in the Americas. This includes North, Central,
and South America as well as the Caribbean.

Q: I will be attending graduate school in the fall, but have not started yet.
Am I eligible?