From: COSE <cose-boun...@ietf.org> on behalf of Jim Schaad
<i...@augustcellars.com>
Sent: Tuesday, February 27, 2018 4:48 PM
To: 'Carsten Bormann'; cose@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [COSE] Digests (hashes) in COSE?

I need to re-publish my document with hash algorithms, however I am not sure
what needs to be placed in this structure in some ways.

Is there something beyond

MAC = [
    Digest : bstr,
    Algorithm: alg_id
]

If you start trying to carry the content you end up with problems because it is
just as often pointed to.  Not sure that putting the pointer in the digest
computation would make sense as this value often chances as well.

Are you thinking of something specific that should be part of this?

I am not sure just how strong the demand is for parametrized hash algorithms
is.  I have used a couple in my lifetime, but always as cases to see what would
happen and have never used one in the wild.

Jim