> On Dec 15, 2020, at 7:33 AM, Hristozov, Stefan
> <stefan.hristo...@aisec.fraunhofer.de> wrote:
>
> What exactly do you mean by hacking the decoder? Do you mean to track the
> offset? What are the alternatives?

I mean modifying the decoder to return the offset (or some other access to
to-be-hashed data). Not all, maybe only very few, return the offset. There is
no need return it.

My own decoder, QCBOR, maintains an internal cursor for the position in the
CBOR tree, but doesn’t return byte offsets. There is no need to.

The alternative is to change the CBOR cert design so the to-be-signed data is
wrapped in a byte string like COSE does (or just use COSE for signing native
CBOR (which gets you code re use)).

LL