On November 27, 2012 16:17 , Chris Hecker <chec...@d6.com> wrote:
> I think the only changes to cosign would be:
> - on first login, make the hard limit for this session min(-H, tgt lifetime)
> - get renewable tickets if an option is set
> - before kicking the user to the login screen on timeout, try to renew
> the ticket, if the backend doesn't support renewing or you're not saving
> tickets or the renew fails, go to login screen, same as current behavior

Requiring a user to reauthenticate after a given period of time (the
hard timeout) is one of the design requirements for cosign.  What you
are proposing would provide a way around this.  Which is fine, if this
is what you want, I'm just explaining why cosign doesn't already support it.

> This can happen under the hood so a POST doesn't get eaten and the user
> never knows it happened, and so the user experience is way better

Some care would be needed here.  The user will be redirected to the
central weblogin server for the ticket renewal.  If the renewal is
successful, they will not be served any content from the central
weblogin server and will be redirected back to the original URL they
requested on the cosign-protected web server.  Hopefully the POST data
would get preserved through this, but I'd have to actually try it.

> Right?  I mean, why would I need an additional authz thing for this,
> that I'd have to maintain separately, etc., it's just basically exactly
> how kerberos is supposed to work for renewable tickets, and it's a small
> change for cosign.  Unless I'm missing something?

Mostly because you'd be building in a special case that could only apply
if an institution used Kerberos with cosign, whereas handling this as
authz is more general and would work for all institutions.

For the use case of "kicking off" users, I suggest a two-step process,
which is actually what I used to do at the University of Michigan when I
was involved with the central weblogin servers for them:

1. Disable the user's Kerberos principal to prevent further logins.

2. On each central weblogin server, delete any file form the cookie
database containing the user's name on the "p" line.  The very next time
any cosign-protected webserver checks in with the central weblogin
server (which happens every request or 60 seconds after the last check,
whichever is longer), the user will be immediately kicked off.

This has the advantage that the user does not continue to have access to
cosign-protected web services until their current ticket expires; they
are completely locked out of all cosign-protected web servers within a
maximum of 60 seconds.

--
   Mark Montague
   m...@catseye.org