--- Begin Message ---
Hello,

I have problem to secure my java web application with Cosign filter on
Apache Tomcat and I want to ask you kindly for help.

I followed tutorial from http://www.itcs.umich.edu/itcsdocs/s4364/#java.

And I have few questions here ..

First of all is to web.xml file and cosignConfig.xml file.
I have both of these files in %TOMCAT_HOME%/conf folder (Also
jaas.config and keystore.jks files). Is it ok?

On Tomcat I need to secure web application placed at %TOMCAT_HOME
%/webapps/myapplication.
Should I define Cosign filter mappings in %TOMCAT_HOME%/conf/web.xml as
<url-pattern>/myapplication/*</url-pattern>
Or in %TOMCAT_HOME%/webapps/myapplication/WEB-INF/web.xml file?
Or in cosignConfig.xml as <service
name="dymmy.sk"><protected>/myapplication/*</protected>
(It's not so clear what protected element means)

Also element "Location Handler: You may need to add this directory to
your application in order for the web container to recognize the
request." is unclear for me. Where exactly should be "/cosign/valid"
folder? In %TOMCAT_HOME%/webapps/myapplication/cosign/valid or %
TOMCAT_HOME%/ROOT/cosign/valid ?
Value is set to <LocationHandlerRef>/cosign/valid</LocationHandlerRef>
What does this value means? And what is purpose of this folder ?

I have already achieved protecting simple helloRemoteUser.jsp (mapped as
url filer mapping in web.xml), then cosign filter redirected me to login
server and after successfully log in I am redirected to url defined in
service in cosignConfig.xml file. Which is now defined as
"http://hostname:8080/cosign/valid/"; and here I am desperate. What
should be defined in service as success returned url and how to get
request.getRemoteUser() working. Currently is method returning null if I
assign this (/cosign/valid) url to servler which displays request
informations.

Possibly:
Is there
Can this be caused by Java JAAS principals policy on windows?
Is necessarily to use MS IE browser?

Thanks very much for some help.

Tomas Filip

Environment informations:

Included cosign libraries in myapplication lib directory and %
TOMCAT_HOME%/lib directory.

commons-collections-3.2.1.jar
commons-logging-1.1.1.jar
commons-pool-1.4.jar

Apache Tomcat 6.0.32
Jdk 1.5.0_15
JavaCosign 3.0.0 RC0

CosignAuthentication
{
 edu.umich.auth.cosign.CosignLoginModule required;
};

--- End Message ---