The standard URL validation mapping from Cosign Config is:

<LocationHandlerRef>/cosign/valid/</LocationHandlerRef>

Below that, some configs I've seen define their own protected url pattern as:
(1)

to 'cover everything', and some put (2):

</service>

My web.xml is:

        <!-- the following entry is required for URL validation -->
        <filter-mapping>
                <filter-name>Cosign Authentication Filter</filter-name>
                <url-pattern>/cosign/valid/*</url-pattern>
        </filter-mapping>
        <!-- CoSign authentication on a URL. -->
        <filter-mapping>
                <filter-name>Cosign Authentication Filter</filter-name>
                <url-pattern>/access/*</url-pattern>
        </filter-mapping>

Now, if I use (1), I get the dreaded Browser Loop
If I use (2), I get the error 'Cosign filter defined to pickup URL but no
service defined.'

So my question is: should the service/protected pattern in cosignConfig.xml
overlap /cosign/valid/ - or would that be causing the browser loop that I'm
seeing?
If not, how do I avoid getting 'no service defined' when the browser redirects
to /cosign/valid?
It seems like i've somehow configured a Catch-22..

--
George