You'd use Cosign if you were already in an organization that was using it,
and you wanted your application to use the existing Cosign SSO framework.

LDAP is just a database -- as Richard said, it's not a session manager: it
exists to solve a different problem than Cosign.  In our case, Cosign looks
to our internal LDAP database for user information.

If you aren't managing 100+ users, and your environment hasn't already
decided on a SSO system and account directory system, local authentication
is your best option.  Django has plenty of plugins to make your life
easier; whatever you do, don't write your own authentication/authorization
code.

John

On Sun, Jul 27, 2014 at 1:12 AM, Christian Seberino <cseber...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>  Thanks.  I use a web framework called Django.  It has its own
> authentication.  I guess
> that means I don't *need* Cosign unless I want to separate out the pieces
> as you said for security.
>
> cs
>

> On 07/26/2014 10:54 PM, Richard Conto wrote:
>
>  ​Cosign is a web based single-signon solution for a collection of
> related web si​tes authenticated by a single authentication domain
> (userid/password system.)  It could use LDAP (or Kerberos or other
> authentication technologies) to validate a userid & password.
>
>  Cosign uses session cookies to implement authentication tickets, etc.
>

>  Strictly speaking, LDAP is a directory for looking things up.  You would
> still need to develop a mechanism of session tracking for a web
> application.  There are Apache modules for doing this - and there are also
> web frameworks that can use LDAP for authentication as well.
>
>  Cosign allows you to separate your authentication store from your
> application - which means that if your application gets compromised, your
> authentication store isn't.
>
>  Shibboleth (which you didn't ask about) is another single-signon web
> technology.  It's most suitable for a federation of authentication domains
> that agree to a common policy of sharing information about the individuals
> they vouch for.   It requires a lot more resources to maintain and deploy
> than Cosign, but offers solves certain kinds of complicated issues that
> Cosign can't.
>
>  --- Richard Conto

John Miller
Systems Engineer