Hodel, Ray <hodel <at> umich.edu> writes:

> I was hoping someone would have experienced my problem before.
 Regardless, it all worked out.  I manged
> to resolve the problem and learn a few things. I'll post what I found
here so that in case someone else
> encounters the same problem it will be documented.
>
> In my previous post I mentioned that I had two certificates with the
same domain (or Common Name). Seeing as
> how I had two certificates with the same CommonName, the cosign module
was, from what I could tell,
> confused.  I think it was trying to use the website certificate, which
for some reason didn't work with
> Cosign.  Now that I understand more of how the Cosign Module works, it
would have saved me some time by just
> getting a new certificate with a different common name (i.e.
cosign.pts.umich.edu).  However, since
> at the time I didn't realize that, I modified the cosign module to
allow the use of FriendlyName attribute
> in the crypto tag in the applicationHost.config file.  So now I can
look at the FriendlyName of the
> certificates instead of the CommonName. That way I can go into the
Certificate properties and change the
> Friendly Name to something unique.
>
> So the lesson here is that if you have two certificates, one for IIS
and another for Cosign Module, make sure
> the Common Names are different.
>
> Ray

---------------

IIS 7.  I configured CoSign 3.1.0 and
> everything was working fine.  I later realized that the certificate I
was using for my domain
> (pts.umich.edu) was issued by UM Web
>  CA.  So people were getting invalid certificate errors when accessing
our secure site
> (https://pts.umich.edu).  I added the web cert, signed by DigiCert.
>  So now I have two certificates listed for pts.umich.edu.  This is
when Cosign stops working.  I’m getting
> “The service is unavailable.”
>
> I’m guessing that cosign doesn’t like that there are two certs for the
same domain.  So I remove the
> DigiCert and revert back to the one from UM Web CA.  I restart IIS and
the app pools.  I restart the server.  I
> removed all certs and re
>  imported it—making sure the permissions were set in the Cert Manager.
I still get the same problem with
> getting “The service is unavailable.”
>
> Here is a copy of the output from DebugView if this could help someone
identify my problem.

> [REMOVED]
--------
> RSA(R) Conference 2012
> Mar 27 - Feb 2
> Save $400 by Jan. 27
> Register now!
> http://p.sf.net/sfu/rsa-sfdev2dev2

Hi your post has been very helpful, thanks.
Can you tell me how you get CoSign to look at the friendly name instead
of the common name?

Many Thanks,
David