Yeah, I meant to follow up with this question (since it was my own question).

With SIP enabled on 10.11 (and 10.12), I had to do two things:

1)  install openssl (I used homebrew for this)

2)  the default “make install” command doesn’t work, so mod_cosign.so has to be
grabbed out of:

cosign-<VERSION>/filters/apache2/.libs

and then put it a user-writeable location like /opt/local or /usr/local and
referenced from there.

Hope that helps somebody!

- Steve