Message: 2
Date: Sat, 26 May 2018 13:35:34 +0000
From: Len Swindley <len_swind...@hotmail.com>
To: "boydgra...@gmail.com" <boydgra...@gmail.com>,

Hello Boyd and all,

I cannot stress the value of the Tithe Applotment Books to Irish researchers,
but my decade-long project of transcribing every parish in Co. Tyrone has
brought zero response and I have often wondered the value of continuing with
the project. Some parishes have two surviving books and both warrant
transcribing: tithe payers may be recorded in c1825 but gone (generally
emigrated) by the late 1830s.

The possibly easiest method to locate the origins of emigrant forebears is to
refer to Griffiths Valuation (c1860)
http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/ for any concentration of the
names/s you are researching and then refer to the relevant tithe applotment
books.

Am not sure if it will be possible to create an index from my files (formatted
in Word), but will be considered. To date, the number of pages compiled amounts
to 1,504, and the number of entries recording the names of tithe payers amounts
to in excess of 35,000. And the transcribing continues. It is a major project
and is not being undertaken in any other county in Northern Ireland.

These are VERY important records.

Best wishes with your researching,
Len Swindley, Melbourne, Australia