Surprisingly possible, Len!

My grandfather, Andrew J McElrea, traveled from Co Tyrone to Abbeyleix,
Queen's Co, then to South Africa, where he worked? for only a few months
before showing up in Philadelphia in 1903 to marry my grandmother, Isabella
Jane Fulton. According to my uncle, he arrived with a small bag containing
gold (or money in some form - Uncle Bill was a great storyteller) which he
then threw down on the kitchen table, announcing they could now get
married. Perhaps my great-grandmother was skeptical about his prospects?

Granddad was a grocer his entire life, so I have no idea what he did in
South Africa for such a short time, unless he was able to tap into the gold
mining industry in some way? Maybe Uncle Bill was right and it was gold in
that bag?

Thanks as always for these gems, Len. I hope someone else can find a
relative who disappeared.

Kathleen

On Thu, Jun 7, 2018 at 11:30 PM Len Swindley <len_swind...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello Listers,
>

> Have you lost a forebear or family member? Have you considered that they
> may have emigrated to southern Africa? The two following marriage
> announcements published in the *LONDONDERRY* *SENTINEL,* August 31, 1899
> may be interesting/ useful towards your research:
>

> BEYERS – KIDD – August 1, at the Dutch Reformed Church, Jacobsdal, Orange
> Free State, by Rev. P. Boshoff, HARRY P. BEYERS, of Stellenbosch, Cape
> Colony, to MABEL L. ANNABELLE, only daughter of the late ARCHIBALD NAPIER
> KIDD, Esq., M.D., Caledon, county Tyrone, Ireland
>

> And
>

> GORMAN – DILWORTH – August 3, at Buluwayo, South Africa [Zimbabwe], by
> Rev. Archdeacon Upcher, JAMES J. GORMAN, M.R.C.V.S., to MAUD M. DILWORTH,
> of Moy, county Tyrone, Ireland
>

> Good luck with your research, Listers,
>
> Len Swindley, Melbourne, Australia
>
> Volunteer transcriber of records and submitter of files to cotyroneireland
> http://www.cotyroneireland.com/

> Windows 10

*Cuimhnigh ar na daoine ónar tháinig tú*
*"Remember the men whence you came."*