Hello Listers,

Life was not always a bed of roses for our Tyrone forebears (offering great
encouragement for emigration) and occasionally there were catastrophic events
as reported in the Londonderry Journal in February 1841

February 16 1841
AWFUL CATASTROPHE. – On Friday, the 5th inst., Mrs. McGinlay, wife of Mr.
Daniel McGinlay, of Tivenny, in the parish of Ardstraw, having left his house
with the intention of procuring some cure for one of her children, which had
been scalded; and, having fastened the door, left her three children and a pig
inside. The distance she had to go was about a mile, it was some time before
she returned, and, melancholy to relate, the house took fire, and we regret to
state, that her three children and the pig were consumed to ashes. How the fire
originated is impossible to conjecture. [The McGinlay family are not recorded
at Tievenny in neither the Ardstraw parish tithe applotment books (1833 & 1834)
or Griffiths Valuation (1858)]. (Londonderry Journal)

What a tragedy!

Regards, Len Swindley, Melbourne, Australia (volunteer transcriber of files
submitted to CoTyroneIreland) http://www.cotyroneireland.com/