Peter,
I take your point about the Lieutenant’slikely background but there are plenty
of other contemporaneous descriptions oflife in Ireland in the mid 1800s, some
written by respected Irish born people that tend tosupport his account of rural
life.

The image of spending 12 hours planting potatoes is suitably graphic but, the
time spent plantingpotatoes each year wasn’t excessive. One of the many great
aspects of potatoes is theyare a low maintenance crop. They are easy to plant,
grow particularly well inmost Irish soil (save if blighted of course) and need
very little attention.You stick them in and then forget about them. You don’t
need to spend much timeon them at all. You also get more spuds to the acre than
nearly any other cropand so if land is in short supply, and you have a large
family – as was oftenthe case then – they are ideal. That then left the
labourer free to undertakeother work, if there was any.  The easewith which
potatoes grew, was one of the reasons why people were so reluctantto grow
anything else, even when faced with possible blight.

Elwyn