Ron,

Ireland has always been a largely agricultural county. Land was the
biggest source of employment in the 1830s and it still is today. The
country has almost no natural resources eg coal, iron ore, valuable
minerals, oil etc and save for linen mills and ship building in
Belfast, the industrial revolution largely passed it by. And that was
one of the many factors that led to mass emigration from Ireland in
the 1800s. There had been a population explosion (up from 3 million in
1741 to 8 million in 1841) and there were no jobs for most of those
people. And that’s before we consider the impact of the famine,
insecure tenure and lack of spare land. So whilst farming may be a
lowly occupation elsewhere, it was up near the top of the chain in
Ireland.  Of course the size of the farm mattered too. There were a
lot of subsistence level cottiers and small farmers, with a few acres,
but there were some quite wealthy farmers too. If you go to the Ulster
American Folk Park near Omagh you can see various categories of farm.
The Campbell Household’s farm (originally near Plumbridge but now in
the Park) was a very wealthy farm, and they had hundreds of acres:

https://www.nmni.com/our-museums/ulster-american-folk-park/Things-to-see/Campbell-House.aspx

Then you had smaller ones like the Mellon farm (of the Mellon Bank
family). They had 23 acres:

https://www.nmni.com/our-museums/ulster-american-folk-park/Things-to-see/Mellon-Homestead.aspx

And there were much poorer ones than that.

But most farmers were much better off than the average
labourer/weaver, especially in many of the Ulster Counties where a lot
of the land was better than in many other parts of Ireland, and you
could get a tolerable living from a surprisingly small piece of land.

Farmers in Ireland were usually above labourers and servants in the
social class. Indeed they usually employed them.  If you look at the
average farm on Griffiths Valuation, you’ll see that many had anywhere
between 1 and sometimes as many as 10 labourers cottages scattered
around the farm. The farm and farmhouse is usually shown as plot a,
and the cottages are b, c, d etc, with the farmer as landlord. Those
labourers normally rented from the immediate farmer (and not from his
landlord) and either paid their rent in cash or by an agreed number of
days work a year on the farm, or sometimes a mix of the two.  Have a
look at the 1831 census for Co. Londonderry and you’ll also see how
many servants there were, and that gives you an idea of how many farms
had servants.

It’s difficult to quantify how wealthy farmers were in simple money
terms because a lot was a barter economy. There were some things money
was needed for eg a ticket to America but a major part ran on barter.
So there may not have been much money in many a farmer’s bank but if
he had a 3 lives lease and a few cows and 25 acres of barley, hay,
flax and spuds he would have been pretty well off by the standards of
the time. The labourer with 2 or 3 perches of land, whose only cash
income was from a little winter home weaving, was right down the
bottom of the social order. A hand to mouth existence at times.

During the famine years it was the labourers who starved. Many farmers
were quite well off. Indeed prices for barley and wheat rose during
the famine years. Few farmers in Ulster suffered starvation then.
Their potatoes were blighted but they had other resources to fall back
on. The labourers only had a few perches and you can grow more spuds
per acre than any other crop. Plus they are low maintenance. So they
were ideal for a labourer with little land and a large family. Till
the blight came of course and then they were crippled. It wasn't quite
so bad in Ulster because many labourers had linen weaving money to
fall back on. That's a reason why the impact of the famine was  a
little less in Ulster than in the rest of Ireland. (I don't have stats
for Tyrone but according to Bill McAfee's website, in Ireland as a
whole the population dropped by 20% between 1841 and 1851 but in Co.
Antrim it only went down by 2%. I think for Ulster it was about a 5 or
7%% drop.I forget the exact number).

If farming was well up the social order, you might wonder why farmers
emigrated. I have touched on lack of security of tenure, and some were
evicted (usually for non payment of rent), but a big driver was the
normal practice of leaving the farm to the eldest son. Farms were
sometimes subdivided, and some farmers managed to acquire two or more
farms, which enabled them to leave a farm to more than one son, but in
general the eldest son got the farm and the rest of the sons had to
find their own way in the world. So they may have been farmers in
Ireland but they didn’t have a farm of their own nor one to inherit
and so migrated. And of course in both the US and Canada it was often
possible to buy land outright or even acquire it for little cost with
various land grant systems. So they were attractive pull factors for
Irish farmers.

I don’t know if this is what you wanted to know. Let me know if you
have any other questions.

Elwyn