I also looked around for this (being unable to resist a challenge). The
only other version I saw was Dunwest - I believe on  GENUKI. No other
information - just the one word as a location in Longfield/Langfield West.

I wonder if a query to PRONI would help?

😣

Kathleen

On Sat, Jul 6, 2019 at 5:28 AM dm60--- via CoTyroneList <
cotyronelist@cotyroneireland.com> wrote:

> Thanks Len, glad you sorted that one!
>
> Dave
>
> (We can't play cricket either .....  but will try this PM against your top
> draw Aussies ....)

> Thanks Dave,
>

> Sorry to rain on anyone’s parade, but I eliminated Dunwish, Drumragh
> parish, from the equation a decade ago when transcribing the Longfield West
> tithe records. Dunwish is a fairly extensive townland of 270 acres
> containing a total of fourteen tithepayers; none of the names are recorded
> within Dunwaist in Longfield West. The tithe books record only townlands
> within a particular parish and no other; pure and simple. The guidelines
> were legislated in the parliament at Westminster.
>

> Regards,
>
> Len Swindley, Melbourne, Australia

> Windows 10

> Hi guys
>
> There's no mention of Dunwaist (or anything like it) in the O.S. Memoirs
> Index volume.
>
> However I've been looking at William O'Kane's "Heather Peat and Stone"
> listings and maps for co.Tyrone parishes and townlands.
>
> Could this be a recording variation/transcription error for the townland
> of Dunwish (parish of Drumragh) ..... which is just to the east of
> Mullanatoomog, Kilmore, Gillygooly and Aghnamoyle?
>
> Didn't want it said "we done waste" a potential good source .....!
>
> Best regards
>
> Dave Mitchell
> Cape Town
> South Africa

> Hello Katherine,
>

> I guess the record you have for DUNWAIST is from my transcription of the
> Longfield West Parish tithe applotment book of 1826
> https://www.cotyroneireland.com/tithe/longfieldwest.html ? It is the only
> instance that I have located a mention of this place. It is not recorded in
> the c1860 Griffiths Valuation of the parish which indicates that it was a
> subdenomination; there are only five tithepayers recorded in 1826 – John
> Barton, John Bleaney, James Booth, John Booth and [?] Boyd - perhaps just a
> collection of a few fields.
>
> I recall that when transcribing the TAB quite some years ago, I felt it
> necessary to confirm my doubts by referring to an old LDS CD of indexes to
> Northern Ireland TABs and it confirmed my transcription.
>
> No further suggestions, I’m afraid (and I also referred to the c1831
> Langfield West Ordnance Memoirs, but no luck there).
>

> All good wishes for your research,
>
> Len Swindley, Melbourne, Australia

> Windows 10

> I am having the hardest time figuring out where Dunwaist is (or was). I
> found a record from Longfield West that mentioned several people from
> Dunwaist, but no trace of it on maps or other databases.
>
> Does anyone know where it is?
>
> I appreciate any help,
>
> Katherine

*Cuimhnigh ar na daoine ónar tháinig tú*
*"Remember the men whence you came."*