Am not sure you are going to be very successful in your search Dawn. Many U.S.
researchers have some idea of the lives of their emigrant Irish forebear in
America, but nothing prior.
Looking at Google entries for Dr. John Rutledge it is claimed that he was born
c1713 at Longford, Co. Tyrone; however there is no such location in Co. Tyrone.
Perhaps his place of residence prior to emigration was Langfield (later changed
to Longfield) in the Castlederg, Newtownstewart, Drumquin, Omagh area? There
are no records surviving from that very early period that would confirm any
family or date of birth. Later nineteenth century records indicate that the
Rutledges were Presbyterians. The Google entry I located states that his father
was an esquire; a landowner and qualified to sit on the bench. This title would
not have been bestowed upon a Presbyterian as they were subject to both the
Penal Laws and the Test Act where they were forbidden to hold any public office
or sit as magistrates. Presbyterian congregations generally, kept no registers
until the late 1820s
It must be remembered that prior to the Famine (1849-50) it was mainly
Protestants, particularly Presbyterians who emigrated to North America.
Generally, it was the younger sons of tenant farmers who sought political and
religious freedom and hopes of fortune in the American colonies. It is
estimated that 270,000 Presbyterians emigrated to North America c1720-1775.
Vast numbers who left no records in Ireland.
For some flavour of the times during John Rutherford’s life in Ireland, I
thoroughly recommend the Ulster-American Folk Park at Castletown, Omagh with
the attached Mellon Centre for Migration Studies. If you are visiting Belfast,
a visit to the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland (PRONI), Titanic
Quarter, is essential
Trust this is useful,
Len Swindley, Melbourne, Australia