Griffiths clerks revisited properties every couple of years and noted the
changes. A different colour was normally used for each year. Sometimes the
years can be out by a year or two. The books themselves do have a specific
start and finish dates which are evident if you handle the originals.
Typically they lasted 7 to 10 years but some were for different periods.
The changes in the VAL numbers were usually because of population changes
which meant that some electoral districts needed split or moved.

Elwyn