Tom/Len,

Much obliged to Len for looking for Rev Maclear.

I would still recommend contacting the PBS in Belfast. The lady likely to
deal with your enquiry is Valerie Adams. She’s very knowledgeable - she
used to be the head of PRONI - and there’s not much she doesn’t know about
Presbyterian Ministers. In addition to the main published guides Len has
used, sometimes referred to as FASTI, she has notebooks with additional
information, including all the various seceder branches of Presbyterianism.
She might have something, and if she doesn’t she’ll probably be interested
in him because she is trying to ensure there is information on every
Minister who has ever had a congregation in Ireland. Even from very early
times (ie mid 1600s) a Presbytery had to approve the appointment of a new
Minister, and so there are pretty good records of most of them. But I am
sure there may be small gaps.

The Rev Maclear should have had a degree, and he would almost certainly
have obtained that in Scotland. (Presbyterians couldn’t obtain a theology
degree in Ireland till the mid 1800s. Trinity was the only
College/University in Ireland then and you had to be Church of Ireland to
study theology there). So Presbyterians went to Scotland. In the 1700s and
early 1800s there were 4 universities in Scotland: St Andrews, Aberdeen,
Glasgow & Edinburgh. They keep pretty good records of their old graduates
and you could contact them to see if any has a record of him attending or
matriculating. I have done that in the past with success. It’s worth noting
that not everyone matriculated. There was an additional fee for
matriculation. Some couldn’t or wouldn’t afford it and so just did the
course, which was generally acceptable in those times. Even in medicine it
wasn’t mandatory to pass an exam until the mid 1800s. Just having attended
the course was considered sufficient to enable you to practice, which is
fairly thought provoking. It was enough to have been there!

Elwyn