Re birth dates,

In researching the family history, I have noticed, at least in the case of notable ancestors, that the date of death is often known precisely but birth dates are not - only years are available and even then one must be circumspect. Apparently one's birth was unimportant as infant survival rates were so low. Baptism gives a clue, but then may be long after the birth, from a few weeks or months to maybe 20 years (in one case)!

Gordon