I answered Don by direct email yesterday and today, and I'll post my suggestions here, as well. I totally agree with Jim, Len and Gordon. "Templemore" is the most likely candidate to  have been misinterpreted/miswritten as "Dunplemore."

When you're looking at an 18th-19th century handwritten document, a capital "D" often looks like a capital "L" or "T," and even an "S." Try it yourself by writing Lane, Sane, Dane and Tane, and comparing the words. Type those words onto a computer document page, and put them into several different cursive scripts (fonts) and see how much alike the first letters are.

Besides Templemore (the place name we've suggested as most likely to succeed), Dunmore and Derry More are also townlands in Londonderry that might have been mistakenly remembered, or miswritten, as "Dunplemore."

Your interpretation might differ, depending on the source of the place name being "Dunplemore," spelled that way. Is this from a family letter, bible entry, tombstone inscription, court document, military paper, or what record? Is it from a typed index/transcript, or an original handwritten document? The source makes a big difference in your evaluation of the place name's possible accuracy.

And, what families (surnames) are said to have lived at "Dunplemore," in what time period? Or any other place name that you're searching for? You can search the Tithe Applotments or Griffith's Valuation for people of that surname in the "most likely" townlands or villages. If there's absolutely no one of that surname in that location, over a period of decades, it's most likely not your ancestor's home place.

Irish place names have been notoriously miswritten by later generations writing down where their parents or grandparents came from. As an example, an Australian emigrant ancestor from Co. Tyrone (in a post on this CoTyrone board) was said to have came from "Ochnaclan" -- which turned out to be "Aughnacloy" in Co. Tyrone. Other spellings of Aughnacloy over the centuries have included Achadh na Cloiche, Aghneilogh, Aghenecloy, and AghnefrCoy.  And more!

One of the best resources for Irish place names in general (besides Sean Ruad's IreAtlas for townlands) is the "General Alphabetical Index to the Townlands and Towns, Parishes, and Baronies of Ireland: Based on the Census of Ireland for the Year 1851." You can view it on Google Books (https://books.google.com/), and it's available as a printed book in many large libraries and archives.

A wonderful resource for Northern Ireland place names (especially early spellings and alternate spellings) is the Queen's University place names database: http://www.placenamesni.org/. I use it frequently.

John Grenham's Irish guides are great, and he's very nice in person, too. If you're trying to identify your place as Templemore, for instance, he has a page on Templemore here:

https://www.johngrenham.com/c_parish/c_parish_main.php?civilparishid=743&civilparish=Templemore&county=Derry

And if "Dunplemore" is actually a true place (and not a miswritten or mistakenly remembered name), look on the early ordnance survey maps -- sometimes small hamlets don't make it into topographical dictionaries and atlases, but you can find them on maps.

An early book on all of Londonderry is the "Statistical Survey of the County of Londonderry" by George Vaughan Sampson (1802), viewable on Google Books. Very interesting reading.

As another research avenue, you might want to consult Brian Mitchell. He's an extremely knowledgeable person, and his Irish guide books (which he's been publishing since the 1980s) are very helpful. He'll answer simple questions by email, at no charge. And, if you ARE asking him, I think he'd like to see the original handwritten document that says "Dunplemore, Londonderry," or the original source of whatever place name you may be inquiring about.

See:  https://www.rootsireland.ie/derry-genealogy/
<< Derry/Londonderry Genealogy -- Brian Mitchell, genealogist with Derry City and Strabane District Council, offers a free genealogy advisory service via email at geneal...@derrystrabane.com, to anyone tracing their roots in North West Ireland. He will respond to queries about place names, surname origins, sources to search or record offices to visit, and suggest research recommendations. >>

Again, Irish place names were inconsistently spelled until fairly recent times. Like surnames, they were spoken more often than written, and by the time spelling began to be standardized (and printed works became more common for everyday people), they had been through many mutations.

Regards,
Annie
Email: anniecrenshaw (at) centurytel.net