Hello, This is very interesting, I have Sproule in my history, so Catherine Sproule (circa 1775-1874 married a Robert Long, Catherine's father was (as far as My Heritage info goes) is Oliver Sproule Circa 1753-1820 of County Tyrone region. Also the Thompsons in America used slaved and there is ancestory as to that mix but the Thompson included his son into the family.
I know nothing really of my Irish ancestry really, been a big struggle to find info, my family consists of Thompson ( who I know are hated) Knox, Wright, Spink, I know the Thompson and Knox's were originally from Scotland. Know nothing about the rest of them really, I know the Thompson and Knox's were Royalists and that Esther Thompson ( Elsie of Advarney married a Knox. So this bit of info was very interesting to me. I wonder if this Sproule is related to my Sproule ancestry. Just thought I would add this. I find tis so very hard to get any info. Cheers Sandra ________________________________ From: Jacque Newman via CoTyroneList <[email protected]> Sent: 27 August 2026 07:16 To: CoTyroneIreland.com Mailing List <[email protected]> Cc: Jacque Newman <[email protected]> Subject: [CoTyroneMailingList] Re: New Content - The Will of Andrew Sproule of Annotto Bay, Jamaica 1801 Have to wonder about the paragraph: "I desire that my executors will immediately after my death make my favourite little slave, Nancy, daughter of my slave, Patience, free, and that she be put under the care of some discreet woman to learn to sew, and that my executors will pay her £20 per annum for five years for clothing for her." The description of Nancy as "favourite little slave" - to our modern ear, it sounds negative and in poor taste (to say the least) but is it possible Mr. Sproule used it as a term of endearment? And does the word "free" mean that she would no longer be a slave after his death? He asks that Nancy be in the care of a "discreet" woman. If discretion is key, is it possible Nancy's identity was a family secret? ie: maybe Mr. Sproule's daughter? Or was the word used in a different context at that time and place in history? Any ideas on that? Jacquelyn On Wednesday, August 26, 2026 at 01:01:15 PM EDT, James McKane via CoTyroneList <[email protected]> wrote: The Will of Andrew Sproule of Annotto Bay, Jamaica 1801<https://www.cotyroneireland.com/wills/sproule2.html> Thanks again to Len Swindley for another great addition to CTI! Jim McKane Kitchener, Ontario [email protected]<mailto:[email protected]> ================================= Send a Message to the List - [email protected]<mailto:[email protected]> List Archive - https://list.cotyroneireland.com/empathy/list/cotyronelist.list.cotyroneireland.com Join the list by sending an email to - [email protected]<mailto:[email protected]> To receive the Digest version, send an email to - [email protected]<mailto:[email protected]> Unsubscribe by sending an email to - [email protected]<mailto:[email protected]> =================================
================================= Send a Message to the List - [email protected] List Archive - https://list.cotyroneireland.com/empathy/list/cotyronelist.list.cotyroneireland.com Join the list by sending an email to - [email protected] To receive the Digest version, send an email to - [email protected] Unsubscribe by sending an email to - [email protected] =================================
