Michael Peters writes:

When I connect to the IMAP server using Firefox,

You must mean Thunderbird.

I get connection cache exceeded error messages. I tweaked the daemons=5 to daemons=20 setting

There's no such setting for the IMAP server. The closest settings are MAXDAEMONS and MAXPERIP in the imapd configuration file.

I suspect that you're referring to the number of authlib processes in the courier-authlib package. That's something else, entirely.

You need to adjust MAXDAEMONS and MAXPERIP settings in the imapd configuration file, then restart the IMAP server.