Rolf Eike Beer writes:

Sam Varshavchik wrote:
Rolf Eike Beer writes:
Hi,

as I recently found out courier does not check for CRLF sequences at the
end of lines. It just blindy inserts CR. In case there's already a CR
there it will still insert,

Correct.  Text files on UNIX/Linux/Posix use LF as end-of-line sequence, so
CR gets inserted when the message is transmitted via IMAP.

But you can't be sure that there are not CR's in the message. I've seen many

In which case it's part of the message's contents, and has nothing to do with the end-of-line character sequence.

of them. Common pitfall is someone inserting mail into qmail using CRLF which will be delivered this way into the mailbox (e.g. by PHP skripts).

And this is the IMAP server's fault exactly how?

                   causing invalid IMAP transactions.

There is nothing invalid about it.

Seems I've misread RfC 2060 section 2.2.

Yes. Strings end with CRLF most definitely. There may be other CR characters in the line, but it always gets terminated by the CRLF sequence.

There's nothing in section 2.2 that prohibits CR from contents of messages.

Here is a patch that fixes at least the easy places to correctly send out
the mails.

Your patch breaks IMAP.  You most certainly did not test it at all, or did
not test it thoroughly.

And even the way it is there are some errors in it. Ok, drop that IMAP part. Nevertheless I've seen some clients (especially M$ Outlook) getting heavily confused if there are CRLF in the message store. Maybe it's better to get qmail-queue fixed instead (haha).

Or, get Outlook fixed.  It's not qmail-queue's problem, either.