Le mardi 16 octobre 2007, Voytek Eymont a écrit :
> what do I need to do about famd ?
>
> disable or is it worthwhile to try to get it going ?
>
> I came across some negative comments about famd, hence my Q
>
> maillog has like:
>
> Oct 17 00:34:36 bilby imapd: Failed to connect to socket /tmp/fam--
> Oct 17 00:34:36 bilby imapd: Failed to create cache file: maildirwatch
> ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
> Oct 17 00:34:36 bilby imapd: Error: Input/output error
> Oct 17 00:34:36 bilby imapd: Check for proper operation and configuration
> Oct 17 00:34:36 bilby imapd: of the File Access Monitor daemon (famd).

I've never used it. The INSTALL file says:

     * FAM, the File Alteration Monitor (http://oss.sgi.com/projects/fam/) is
       optional. If FAM is installed, it is used for an enhanced IMAP IDLE
       implementation that provides real-time folder status updates to
       concurrent IMAP clients that have the same folder opened.

I've never had to deal with the usage scenario mentioned, so I never enabled
it. Would be useful if you use a lot of shared maildirs, though. YMMV.

--
Francis Galiegue, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[ATTENTION - CHANGEMENT D'ADRESSE !]