Le lundi 15 octobre 2007, Tony Earnshaw a écrit :

> Ergo, you haven't installed Courier authlib. Or if you have, you've
> installed it to /usr/local, where Courier IMAP isn't looking, without
> doing the ldconfig stuff.
>
> For goodness sake read the docs provided for you in the Courier IMAP
> tarball; failure to do so, then complain, is regarded as a hanging
> offense in my domain. Even if you only install the RPM, you still have
> an rpm BUILD directory with all the documentation in it, so go find it.
>
> FWIW, I used (years ago) to install everything non-Red Hat as source
> code and experienced much. *much* hell. Sam kept on bitching at me about
> installing only rpms on Red Hat, in his own sweet manner, until I
> finally got the message and now refuse to install *any* Red Hat software
> whatsoever if it's not in the form of an rpm. I even learned to write my
> own rpm specs for software where there's no rpm available. At the same
> time, I *do* always make sure I read *all* the documentation before I
> ask any question on any list. Mostly I don't, any longer, ask any
> question on any list.
>
> CentOS is gratis (free as in beer). There's no excuse for a savvy
> sysadmin not to upgrade to CentOS5, you're heaping coals on the fire by
> continuing with CentOS4.

Meh.

As a trained RPM packager (been doing/managing RPMs for more than 8 years) I
can relate to what you say but only partially. Knowing about RPM packaging is
NO REASON to blame people about NOT knowing.

Give them pointers. Instead of saying RTFM, go a step further and PROVE that
you understand the problem by giving insights on what could have gone wrong.

The saying goes that you learn more from one error than a thousand
reads/courses. I'm sure Vojtek will have learned a lot from his RPM
experience.

I'm just starting to get used to Gentoo's ebuilds (and some of their decisions
are VERY questionable indeed, I won't deny it). But instead of getting bashed
upon like I was, I'd have preferred to have pointers. Just like I helped
Vojtek sort out his problems.

--
Francis Galiegue, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[ATTENTION - CHANGEMENT D'ADRESSE !]