Hello again,
I am using courier-imapd-ssl on Ubuntu

I want to debug a user authentication by viewing the password being sent

I have read
    https://www.courier-mta.org/authlib/README.authdebug.html
to edit
    /usr/local/etc/authdaemonrc:
but, I have no file there

which authdaemond
    /usr/sbin/authdaemond
systemctl status authdaemond
● authdaemond.service
   Loaded: not-found (Reason: No such file or directory)
   Active: inactive (dead)

in /var/log/mail.log
 imapd-ssl: Connection, ip=[::ffff:104.xxx.xxx.xxx]
lemp-dev authdaemond: received auth request, service=imap, authtype=login
lemp-dev authdaemond: authuserdb: trying this module
lemp-dev authdaemond: userdb: opened /etc/courier/userdb.dat

Is this showing that I am indeed using authdaemond to process the login
request?

I edited /etc/courier/authdaemonrc
set DEBUG_LOGIN=2
(as the above webpage said that would show the pwd)
save the file

authmodulelist="authuserdb authpam"
daemons=5
authdaemonvar=/var/run/courier/authdaemon/socket
DEBUG_LOGIN=2
DEFAULTOPTIONS=""
LOGGEROPTS=""

and following the instructions in that webpage
I stopped authdaemond
then attempted to start it manually
   authdaemond >/home/user/authdaemond.log 2>&1

but that log file shows only
   Unknown option '-'

I do not see any hyphen character in the conf file