--Peter C. Norton wrote on 10.12.2001 06:32 -0800:

> Appreciate the feedback.  The issue I have is that evolution doesn't know
> about STARTTLS.  I haven't generated the certificate yet, but I'll see if
> the error message below is spurious and that's the real issue.
>
> [root@odin conf]# /usr/lib/courier/sbin/couriertcpd -address=0 \
> -stderrlogger=/usr/lib/courier/sbin/logger -stderrloggername=esmtpd-ssl \
> -maxprocs=20 maxperip=20 -pid=/var/spool/courier/tmp/emsptd-ssl.pid \
> -nodnslookup -noidentlookup smtps /usr/lib/courier/bin/couriertls \
> -server -tcpd /usr/lib/courier/sbin/courieresmtpd \
> /usr/lib/courier/libexec/courier/modules/esmtp/authstart authdaemon
> /usr/lib/courier/sbin/couriertcpd: -pid argument is required.
> [root@odin conf]#

maxperip has no leading dash in your example.
You also did not specify -user and -group, dont know if files in
the queue owned by root will cause other troubles.

There are also some TLS_-variables which should be initialized,
and the server needs a certificate. Or dies away.

If at all possible adjust etc/esmtpd[-msa] and then try with
`cd ./sbin && ./esmtpd-msa start`.
The script takes care of all the arguments and gets them right.

Roland