On 2002.05.03 17:12 Rick Updegrove wrote:

> Ok so just for the heck of it I decided to see if it would compile as
> root,
> which it does.  Now, because I read the documentation I know that is
> not the
> way it was mean to be installed, but I cannot fifure out why yet.
>
> When I look at the Makefile for the (working) ports version I see the
> following:

> Should I ./configure --disable-root-check
>
> and then gmake as root?  etc.  If not why not?  I know I am not
> supposed to
> gmake as root but I am not sure why.  I have been looking around for a
> written explanation of when --disable-root-check is needed/adviseable
> but so far I haven't located anything.

The problem you are having in installation is somewhat curable, though
not something I've had to deal with in a while. As I'm sure Sam will
emphasize, executing *any* action, espeecially a complex one like
building courier, has the potential to destroying your system. As a
metter of course, one shouldonly resort to root login and su when they
are appropriate and needed, and at no other time.

David Stowell