Hi all,

If I have a Courier server that has a fair number of users and is
therefore being constantly peppered by POP3 and IMAP connections, and I
want to add a brand-new domain name to accept mail for (a very frequent
situation, done using the usual control files), what is the best way (or
is there any way) to get the new domain to take without causing any
interruptions to those who are checking their mail?  For example, if port
110 goes down for one second, folks who pop during that one second will
get errors in their mail clients, which are more or less problematic
depending on the mail client.  Under my current setup, though I run all of
the documented make* commands for each relevant file (basically
makeacceptmailfor and makehosteddomains) I still need to do a restart of
Courier or Courier will bounce the mail for the new domains until I do the
restart.  My user base has increased dramatically, so idle time has become
almost nonexistant.  Sometimes my phone will ring with people saying that
now their mail client is asking for the POP password, which they had
previously set to be "remembered" by the software and therefore have no
idea what it is.  I have tracked this down to connections being made in
that second/fraction of a second when the restart was occuring, and I just
know that I must be doing something wrong, because large sites are surely
able to add new domains without interrupting any current users. So, I
guess I'm asking what you big guys do when you need to add a domain and
you have thousands of POP/IMAP/etc connections going on, so there's
virtually zero idle time.  I know that the manpage says that "courier
restart" is a graceful restart.  Once again, I'm finding that
makeacceptmailfor and makehosteddomains are not sufficient for new domains
added to the files--when I restart, things work perfectly, and the docs
indicate that a restart is "often necessary."  Do you big sites do
something different?

Red Hat 7.0
Courier 0.40.2
vanilla-flavored userdb for auth, if it matters

Many thanks,
--
DY


-------------------------------------------------------
This SF.NET email is sponsored by:
SourceForge Enterprise Edition + IBM + LinuxWorld = Something 2 See!
http://www.vasoftware.com
_______________________________________________
courier-users mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/courier-users

Reply via email to