On Fri, Mar 21, 2003 at 05:10:18PM -0800, Peter C. Norton wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 21, 2003 at 12:54:55PM -0800, Gordon Messmer wrote:
> > That's not correct.  "ping mail-test.real.com" ten times and you should
> > get about half of the lookups to one box, and half to the other.
>
> It depends on your proxy nameserver (aka caching nameserver aka
> recursive nameserver).  I.e. djbdns won't, in a stock unpatched
> config, rotate through A records, deeming it an application issue.

But the authoritative (primary/secondary) servers, from which it retrieves
the records, *will* rotate them (as long as they're not djbdns too). Once
the records expire from the cache, and it retrieves them again, there's a
50/50 chance of getting either X-Y or Y-X.

So as long as you have more than a handful of users, and they are not all
using the same cache, this will still give statistical load-balancing.

Incidentally, another alternative to LVS is to buy a pair of layer 7
switches. May be more reliable in the long term because there's no hard
drive.

Regards,

Brian.