I've got Courier 0.42.2 built & installed but I can't seem to do
something that seems relatively simple in concept.

Our home directories are served over NFS from a NetApp Filer box.
I want the mail server to be self-contained - I don't want everyone's
Maildir to be in $HOME/Maildir.

Instead, I have a local partition, "/var/maildirs", on an Arena RAID unit
that I'd rather use.  I'd like to create "/var/maildirs/$USER/Maildir"
and use "maildirmake" to create Maildirs under those directories.

I can't seem to find any documentation on how to do this.  It smells a
bit like using "userdb" (not all our NIS "passwd" map entries use the
mail server, so I don't have a problem using a separate database) and
virtual domains, except that I have no need/use for virtual domains.
(I don't use "Qmail", either - planning on using Courier's ESMTP daemon,
 although I don't understand why it's so slow to respond to connections ...)

As a test I've changed "DEFAULTDELIVERY" in "etc/courierd" to use "maildrop"
(i.e., "| /opt/courier/bin/maildrop") and I created "etc/maildroprc" with
the single line "DEFAULT=/var/maildirs/$USER/" in it.  (I want to use
"maildrop" because I eventually want to tie delivery into SpamAssassin, if
I can get things to work as-is)

I then tried a test message:

echo "To: earle" | /opt/courier/bin/sendmail

This results in the following log messages:

May 29 09:12:06 mailserver courierd: [ID 702911 mail.info] 
newmsg,id=0006E385.3ED63156.00005CAB: dns; localhost (localhost [127.0.0.1])
May 29 09:12:06 mailserver courierd: [ID 702911 mail.info] 
started,id=0006E385.3ED63156.00005CAB,from=<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
,module=local,host=earle!!<uid>!<gid>!/home/earle!!,addr=<earle>
May 29 09:12:06 mailserver courierd: [ID 702911 mail.info] Waiting.  shutdown 
time=none, wakeup time=Thu May 29 09:16:51 2003, queuedelivering=5, 
inprogress=1
May 29 09:12:06 mailserver courierlocal: [ID 702911 mail.info] 
id=0006E385.3ED63156.00005CAB,from=<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,addr=<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>: 
maildrop: Unable to create a dot-lock.
May 29 09:12:06 mailserver courierlocal: [ID 702911 mail.info] 
id=0006E385.3ED63156.00005CAB,from=<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,addr=<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
,status: deferred
May 29 09:12:06 mailserver courierd: [ID 702911 mail.info] 
completed,id=0006E385.3ED63156.00005CAB

I can't clamp a "truss" (this is on Solaris 8, btw) onto "maildrop" because
it's a setuid program running as a non-"root" user - so I can't tell where
"maildrop" is trying to create the dot-lock, or why it's failing.

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong, or if I should be implementing
this setup a different way than I'm trying to do?

Thanks in advance,

        - Greg




-------------------------------------------------------
This SF.net email is sponsored by: eBay
Get office equipment for less on eBay!
http://adfarm.mediaplex.com/ad/ck/711-11697-6916-5
_______________________________________________
courier-users mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/courier-users

Reply via email to