Sam Varshavchik writes:
> Greg Earle writes:
> 
>> Sam Varshavchik writes:
>>> Greg Earle writes:
>>> 
>>>> As a test I changed "DEFAULTDELIVERY" in "etc/courierd" to use "maildrop"
>>>> (i.e., "| /opt/courier/bin/maildrop") and I created "etc/maildroprc" with
>>>> the single line "DEFAULT=/var/maildirs/$USER/" in it.  (I want to use
>>> 
>>> There is no such variable called $USER in maildrop.
>> 
>> Crap, I was afraid of that.  Thanks.
>> 
>> OK - so then how do I get "maildrop" to deliver to a Maildir that's located
>> in "/var/maildirs/<username>" for each user, instead of in $HOME/.Maildir?
> 
> By using, instead, any of the environment variables documented in 
> maildropfilter(5).

D'oh!@  Looks like I want $LOGNAME instead.  Thanks.

Jesse Keating writes:
>> On Thursday 29 May 2003 13:52, Greg Earle wrote:
>> Crap, I was afraid of that.  Thanks.
>>
>> OK - so then how do I get "maildrop" to deliver to a Maildir that's located
>> in "/var/maildirs/<username>" for each user, instead of in $HOME/.Maildir?
> 
> Once you do that, how are you going to get courier-pop or courier-imap to
> look there when a user logs in to check email?

Uh ... good question?  :-)

Is the implication here that the IMAP and POP servers don't look anywhere
else besides $HOME/Maildir for the user's Maildir?  Is that hard-coded?
(Unless something like the virtual domain stuff is being used)  Yikes!

> Are these virtual users, or actual system users?

These are actual system users.

What I'm trying to implement:

A subset of users ("users" == "people with entries in our NIS ``passwd'' map")
uses our mail server.  I want them to be able to get their e-mail, but not to
log into the mail server (via SSH or any other means).  Their home directory
will still be available (over NFS) to Courier on the mail server for dot file
access purposes, I suppose, but I'd like to keep them from logging in if at
all possible.  (I'd even want to keep their home directory from being NFS
mounted if I could get the .courier et al. file functionality some other way.)

But I'd rather not have their mail saved to their own $HOME/Maildir over NFS,
so that's why I'm trying to get all the Maildirs under one roof/tree.  Using
"userdb" and virtual domains sounds like it's closest to what I want to
do, but I have no use for virtual domains - I'm inside a bigger domain
(at work), and just want mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED] to
go to this Courier box and work right.  Virtual Domains seem like they're
meant to be used in a different kind of setup than mine.

Surely I can't be the only person who's ever wanted to keep Maildirs
all under one directory tree but had no use/need for Virtual Domains???

        - Greg




-------------------------------------------------------
This SF.net email is sponsored by: eBay
Get office equipment for less on eBay!
http://adfarm.mediaplex.com/ad/ck/711-11697-6916-5
_______________________________________________
courier-users mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/courier-users

Reply via email to