James A Baker writes:

Sam,

I was noticing that the SMAP1 docs said the following:

The backslash character is not allowed in IMAP command identification tags. A server that implements both IMAP and SMAP reads the first whitespace-delimited word of the first command it receives. If the first word in "\SMAP1" the server knows that the client is using SMAP.

Well, I don't know if this is new to the current release, because of your SMAP code changes, or if it's been this way... but Courier is accepting backslashes in the IMAP command ident tags.

Backslashes are not allowed in IMAP command identification tags. Just because this server doesn't mind them, that doesn't mean that they allowed. Clients are prohibited from using backslashes in IMAP tags.


I was very careful in arranging all these dominoes, so that fall in the right direction.

Let's see what RFC 3501 sez about IMAP tags:

tag = 1*<any ASTRING-CHAR except "+">

Meaning that tags may contain any ASTRING-CHAR, except for "+"

ASTRING-CHAR = ATOM-CHAR / resp-specials

ATOM-CHAR = <any CHAR except atom-specials>

atom-specials   = "(" / ")" / "{" / SP / CTL / list-wildcards /
                 quoted-specials / resp-specials

Which is just a convoluted way of saying that ASTRING-CHAR is any character except for '(', ')', '{', space, control character, and whatever's defined as "list-wildcards" and "quoted-specials". "atom-specials"'s exclusion of resp-specials is negated by its addition back in ASTRING-CHAR.

Moving onto quoted-specials:

quoted-specials = DQUOTE / "\"

So, as you see the IMAP specification prohibits backslashes in tags.

See, because of these first 2 issues above, the following session doesn't get me into SMAP1 mode as expected, but does validly log me in

That's a human mistake. A computer won't make the same mistake.


And finally, the docs say that SMAP1 logouts are accomplished with 'QUIT', but that doesn't seem to work for me. It seems to require 'logout' instead. As you can see below, I used MANY, MANY variations

I'll fix the spec. As I said, it's work in progress...




-------------------------------------------------------
This SF.net email is sponsored by: eBay
Get office equipment for less on eBay!
http://adfarm.mediaplex.com/ad/ck/711-11697-6916-5
_______________________________________________
courier-users mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/courier-users

Reply via email to