On Wednesday 15 October 2003 06:54, Bernd Kohlmaier wrote:
> My esmtproutes file contains one line (for the smarthost):
> :mail.isp.com
>
> In my option, courier should now send every mail for "the world"
> through this relay, but it seems courier ignores this file.
> No matter, what i add to this file, courier always tries to send
> the messages directly. which results in an DNS error.
>
> Here are the lines from my mail log file:
>
> courierd:
> started,id=0001A519.3F8C0811.00000C32,from=<hidden>,module=esmtp,host=gmx.a
>t,addr=<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> courierd: Waiting.  shutdown time=none,
> wakeup time=Wed Oct 15 08:32:26 2003, queuedelivering=3, inprogress=2
> courieresmtp:
> id=000167E5.3F8BFE15.0000099C,from=<hidden>,addr=<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> DNS lookup failed. courieresmtp:
> id=000167E5.3F8BFE15.0000099C,from=<hidden>,addr=<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,s
>tatus: deferred courierd: completed,id=000167E5.3F8BFE15.0000099C

The log may not mean what you think.  The "host=gmx.at" does NOT mean that
courier is trying to send to that host.  This is just the mail host that was
set when the message was received.  Later when courier tries to send the
message then a route in esmtproutes will override this and courier will send
to the host listed in esmtproutes.  So when the message is sent what you see
in the logs is that the message was actually accepted for delivery by
"mail.isp.com" and not the host listed in the "host=" line.

So are you SURE that courier is ignoring the esmtproutes file?  Send a message
and then do a "ps ax | grep courieresmtp".  You should see a line that says

courieresmtpd   0    mail.isp.com

Which means that courier is trying to send your message through the relay and
not directly.  (This assumes we solve the dns issue first.  If courier can't
do a lookup on the mail server then it can't send anything.)

Check out whether you can get an ip address for your smart host.  If courier
is getting a DNS error here it probably means it can't do a lookup on the
smart host.  Can you do a dns lookup successfully on your smart host?

Secondly, even if you have a smart host listed in esmtproutes courier will
still separate the message into different queues based on that "host=" line.
So if you send a message to someone at "hotmail.com" and someone at "aol.com"
then the message will actually be sent twice - once for all the hotmail.com
recipients and once for all the aol.com recipients.  Both messages will be
sent through the smart host but two copies will be sent.

If you're on a fast connection and/or don't pay for time then this is no big
deal.  If your connection is slow or you pay for time connected then I've got
a patch that I can send you which will make courier send only copy of the
message to the smart host regardless of the recipients' domains.

Jeff Jansen