On Fri, 2003-10-17 at 19:38, Jeff Jansen wrote:
> On Friday 17 October 2003 15:19, Thomas Spoelstra wrote:
> > I'm going to try your suggestions. But would an inconsistency in the
> > directories (Maildir issue) cause the login problems?
>
> I just changed one account to match what you said you had (home and mail
> pointing to the same directory) and I couldn't log in properly.  With
> SqWebMail I got the error "maildir_createmsg: cannot create temp file".  With
> kmail pop3 I got the error "pop3d: No such file or directory" in my log and
> with kmail imap I got the error "Unable to open INBOX".  Although in neither
> case did kmail say it couldn't log in.  It just gave me the errors listed
> above. I don't know if you are seeing similar problems or not.
>
> Anyway, let me know what I said fixes the problem.  If not, then obviously
> you're right - the problem lies elsewhere.
>
> Jeff Jansen

Jeff,

Thank you very much for this - it sure is helpful.  Did you by any chance have a
look at the mail.log messages? Did it generate a "LOGIN FAILED" - especially for
the pop3 attempts?

But for now, I managed to break my courier installation, and are restarting from
scratch. My being new to Debian does not help a lot either.  At this stage when I
run "apt-get install courier-base" or "apt-get install courier-mta" it somehow
fails to configure the mta - a makedat error. Guess I'll have to figure out this
one first. Building from scratch also does not work