Joe Laffey wrote:

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003, Sam Varshavchik wrote:

This also seems to open users up to a DoS, simply send them a corrupt
message or two and they are out of luck. This a DoS both against the user
and the admin...

Thoughts?

... And this will occur no matter what mail/pop3 server is used.

Only Microsoft can fix this.

So mail servers MUST accept messages with this format? (only headers and no blank lines)

I can work around this by writing a script to search and destroy these
messages. ISPs *can* choose and configure servers. They, sadly, *cannot*
dictate which client people use. Every time I speak with a client I
recommend against using Outlook (especially oon the PC, for security
reasons). But none of them pay any attention.

Evil as as MS is, and crappy as Outlook is, it seems to me like we as
admins must do everything to support it. Manually dealing with corrupt
messages is not my idea of fun!

For now the script it is...

If your MTA is Postfix, enabling "scrict_rfc821_envelopes" may fix this. If the MUA doesn't format the email correctly when issuing its commands to the MTA it will be rejected.