From: Dave Kliczbor [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

> After I did not find any howto to create virtual mail hosting on
> courier besides the standard installation documentation, I tinkered
> around on my own server and logged what I did. Then I added some
> comments and put the whole thing online on
> <http://da.andaka.org/Doku/courier-vmaildir.html>
>
> Before I release the document into the public (i.e. "advertising"
> it) I'd like to discuss it with people who know Courier.
>
> So, I'd be delighted if some people on this list read that document
> and give me some feedback (and typo and grammar correction, as I'm
> german).

I didn't notice any typos or grammar problems on a quick read through.
I did come up with a couple of other questions/suggestions.

    Do NOT use dots in the directory names! It somehow confuses at
    least one part of the courier mail suite. Instead, substitute
    dots with e.g. dashes.

What problems did you have with dots?  All of my domain directories
have dots and I've never run into any problems.

    userdb "maligree-yi-org/[EMAIL PROTECTED]" set home=/var/mail \
            mail=/var/mail/domains/maligree-yi-org/maligree/ uid=8 gid=8

Unless you have a compelling reason to do otherwise, it's usually a
good idea not to specify the 'mail' attribute in userdb.  It causes
headaches because the maildir is not in the default location.  It's
better to just specify the home directory and let the maildir default
to $HOME/Maildir.

It looks like you are also making the home directory be the same for
everyone.  If you give everyone their own home directory, then
Courier can manage their .courier and .mailfilter files separately.

In your case, I would rather do this:
home=/var/mail/domains/maligree-yi-org/maligree/

And if you create an /etc/courier/maildroprc file like this:
    xfilter spamc
    if (/^X-Spam-Level: *----.*$/)
    {
      to "./Maildir/.Spam"
    }

Then you have almost the same delivery setup with much less work.
Any non-spam email will be filtered through $HOME/.mailfilter if it
exists.  With no other delivery instructions, mail is automatically
delivered to $HOME/Maildir.

    echo "|spamc |maildrop /var/mail/.maildroprc" >.courier

If you set maildrop as DEFAULTDELIVERY in /etc/courier/courierd, then
you don't have to specify it in everyone's .courier file.  And with
the directory structure I mentioned above, you don't need to specify
the maildroprc location.  Also see above for an alternate way to call
spamc.

Just keep in mind that if a .courier file exists in the user's home
directory, it will override the delivery instructions in courierd.

Hopefully this is helpful.

Bowie