Sam Varshavchik <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Lloyd Zusman writes:
>
>> [ ... ]
>>
>> But now, when I configure courier-authlib with "--with-db=gdbm", I
>> get errors in the bdb* routines because things like db_open cannot be
>> found.  Is there any way to totally prevent any of this bdb* stuff
>> from getting built in the first place in courier-authlib?
>
> What part of the build process is having a problem?  --with-db=gdbm
> still works, and will end up building a GDBM-based authlib.  The bdbobj
> directly will still be compiled, if DB is available, but not included in
> the final link.

On my system, the standard Berkeley db is very old and I don't use it in
any software that I build.  It's so old that the bdbobj compile fails
with compile errors.  I'd like to be able to tell courier-authlib to
not even try to build bdbobj in the first place.

In older versions, where the authlib stuff was integrated into the
courier build, I could use --with-db=gdbm and there was no problem with
the bdbobj stuff.  Now, in the newer courier-authlib build,
--with-db=gdbm isn't enough to prevent these bdbobj compile errors.

To get around this, I have installed a newer version of Berkeley db in a
non-standard location, and I add -I/usr/local/BerkeleyDb/include to the
front of CFLAGS and -L/usr/local/BerkeleyDb/lib to the front of LDFLAGS,
and this allowed the courier-authlib build to succeed.

Although I now have this workaround, I'd like to be able to disable all
Berkeley db compilation altogether if I prefer using gdbm, rather than
having to maintain an installation of a piece of software I don't even
use just in order to make a module that I don't even use (the bdbobj
stuff) compile correctly within courier-authlib.

I'm sorry that I don't have a listing of the exact compile error here.
It has to do with dbopen or db_open not being found during the bdbobj
compile step.  The run of 'configure' and then 'gmake' for
courier-authlib take so long to complete on my slow system that I would
prefer not to re-configure without those -I and -L additions, just to
duplicate the compile error and include a copy of it here.  I hope that
my mention of dbopen/db_open being missing is sufficient to identify the
problem in the bdbobj compile step.

Thanks.

--
 Lloyd Zusman