Hi there,

I have a problem I have struggled with in 3 days now, and I really don't know
how to solve it. In short, my problem is that I can't connect to Courier SMTP
service from the server itself.

I running FreeBSD 4.9 and the new released Courier 0.49.0 (I have the problem
with the previous release too).

On my server, I have two netcards, where one is connection to a router which
is on the internet, and the other is on my local network.

192.168.1.4       +---------+         10.10.10.1
<--Router --------| FreeBSD |------- Local network --->
                  +---------+

I know the SMTP service works and running, because I can connect to it from
either network (I receive mails from the internet and can send mails from my
local network), but when try to connect from the server itself, the connection
is closed immediately:

# telnet localhost 25
Trying 127.0.0.1
Connected to localhost.polycode.dk
Escape character is '^]'.
Connection closed by foreign host.

# telnet 10.10.10.1 25
Trying 10.10.10.1
Connected to polycode.dk
Escape character is '^]'.
Connection closed by foreign host.

# telnet 192.168.1.4 25
Trying 192.168.1.4
Connected to 192.168.1.4
Escape character is '^]'.
Connection closed by foreign host.

The funny part is, I can telnet to any other port, like 110 or 80 (Courier
pop3 and Apache), and these works without any problems.

I even tried to change the smtp service to listen on another port (to see if
its a firewall problem), even port 110 (have stopped pop3 first), but that
doesn't help. It's the same.

If I make a telnet to my domain name, I got a connection after a while, but
this is not a suitable solutions. I will get relay denied errors, if I try
to send mails by doing this, which is ok. I should get these errors :-)

Hope anyone can help me with this.

Yours
Thomas

---
There exist 3 kinds of people. Those who can count and those who can't

E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Web: http://www.polycode.dk