Am 2005-03-11 09:13:36, schrieb Ricky Chan:

> The most popular alternatives are:
>
> Cyrus - personally I am a big fan of maildir, but I haved used this and
> one of my mail accounts is on a cyrus IMAP server, it is quite picky
> about headers being correct and you won't be able to copy a message from
> Courier to Cyrus if it falls foul of it.

Does not have the features I want...
Need an external pop3 Server and does not have shared Folders.

> UW IMAP - I have used this, Crispin also prepared the RFC 3501
> (IMAPrev1). Didn't support maildir either (mbox) last time I used it so
> was a non-starter for me (I have my reasons).

Outdated and crappy.
You can not access your mailbox, if there are messages comeing in.

> BINC - Not a fan of courier if you ever look at the site.  It works very
> well in many test cases I have used, however some stuff it is quite
> slow, the author himself acknowledges there is work to be done
> optimising some areas, definitely less features.

Never tried

> My information of UW IMAP is a bit out of date, but last time I checked
> it didn't support nearly as many features as cyrus and courier.

Right

> Cyrus strength is also its weakness, it likes to run as a CLOSED system,
> okay you can get exim to use LTMP to deliver to it but you are stick
> with local transport agent, imap and pop3 servers.

Thist was my main problem...

> On the other hand courier allows you to use (Indeed I do!) use
> alternative pop3 (supporting maildir of course).  The file names uses is
> like the names used in MTA such as exim (expecially with ,S= extension
> to name) and hence more flexibility.

I am using Debian and I have installed

courier-mta
        mta-ssl
        imap
        imap-ssl
        webadmin
        pop3
        pop3-ssl
        authdaemon
        base
        faxmail
        mlm
        ssl
        sqwebmail

I think, 'courier' is the most perfectly mailserver which exist.

OK, I like to see some more features in "faxmail" but...

> My last comment is I found courier source code very easy to modify to do
> werid stuff that only I need.

:-)

> Ricky

Greetings
Michelle

                   50, rue de Soultz         MSM LinuxMichi