Am 2005-03-16 10:01:39, schrieb Martijn Lievaart:

> Running courier for a five user setup on an old P90 I cannot really
> comment on multi thousend user setups, but I must second this based on
> years of experince with different mail setups. On any serious IMAP
> server, you need fast I/O subsystems. If you use NFS, take some time to
> tune it properly.

My first courier-(mta,imap) was on a HP Vectra XA5 (P1 200MHZ with
192 MB of memory) but with a 3Ware 3w6507 and 3 x 40 GByte WD400.

Around 180 $USER and realy fast.

> Theoretically the FS choosen should make a difference as well, try it
> out. On Linux, reiser was designed for the type of access that imap on
> maildir  has, lot's of relatively small files. Try it out to see if it
> makes a difference. Note that tools for reiserfs do not completely
> integrate with some distros, expect some trouble (The fsck takes
> different flags than the normal flags, on RH/Fedora this means boottime
> fscks go all haywire, YMMV but I advice not to check your rieser
> partitions on boot).

I am using ext3 since the first stable release of Debian WOODY and
nerver had performanc problems or lost files.

ReiserFS had gaved me only problemsuncluding the last versions in
Debian...

After a power lost, Reiser has zeroed 1000th of files and made the
filesystem inaccessible, my postgresql wa destroyed and I had to
rebuild it.

I am using a courier Server with public shared mailinglist archives
and have more then 5.300.000 Messages on it... parallel an apache.

It is MY Debian home...

Running on a "HP Vectra XA5" too with 3w6507 and 3x WD800...

Need to configure my SQUID and the site is online back

> M4

Greetings
Michelle

                   50, rue de Soultz         MSM LinuxMichi