Hello Ricky,

(Please do not Cc me, I am on the list if I write here)

Am 2005-03-17 14:15:08, schrieb Ricky Chan:
> >What I want is to split my $USER by country...
>
> I think I got what you mean, you basically want a single name for
> IMAP/POP3 connections, which then depending on the user will goto a
> IMAP/POP3 server in that users country where their mail box is stored.

Right.

> If that is what you want, assume you are using courier (being in this
> list, is a safe assumption) you can use courier proxy.  This will do

:-)

> imap login as per normal, but after authentication will pass it onto
> another imap server transparently.  (If using cyrus IMAP you can look at

Only "courier"  :-)

> It is best that this imap/pop3 proxy themselves be load balanced as ALL
> connections have to go through it (as no direct connections), best to
> have a pair of lb, you don't want to introduce a single point of failure.

Ah, I was thinking, the connection AFTER authentication is done directly.

Hmmm, so the courier-proxy must be realy performant
if all traffic goes though...

I was searchin for somethin like:

    smtp auth           ->      mail.mydomain.tld
    smtp (from clients) ->      mail.mydomain.tld

    imap/pop3 auth      ->      mail.mydomain.tld
    imap/pop3           ->      countrybox.mydomain.tld

Hmmm, and what if I change the setup that

    smtp auth           ->      mail.mydomain.tld
    smtp (from clients) ->      mail.mydomain.tld
    ($USER should use asmtp to send messages via <mail.mydomain.tld>)

    imap/pop3 auth      ->      mbox-<CID>.mydomain.tld
    imap/pop3           ->      mbox-<CID>.mydomain.tld
    ($USER can connect directly to his/her country-mailbox)

which mean, that incoming mails for e.g.

    <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

coming into <mail.mydomain.tld> are forwarded to the mailbox

    <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I have read the documentation but not found the right part,
how to forward $USER to a specific mbox-server.

> Ricky

Greetings
Michelle

                   50, rue de Soultz         MSM LinuxMichi