Am 2005-04-04 10:07:35, schrieb Peter Ford:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm trying to test external access to my server, and the only machine
> that fits the requirements has no X or graphics (it's a linux server)
> so I need to find a program that does something like what Thunderbird
> does with a remote server, only without a point and drool interface. I'm
> thinking something like Pine, but I don't want to install random
> programs until I have some idea of whether they would work...
> Particularly, it needs to be able to do SMTP AUTH LOGIN on my mail
> server to get around relaying restrictions.

You need only 'mutt' and maybe for sending mail ssmtp.

'mutt' can connect directly to POP3 and IMAP Servers using unencryted
TLS1 or SSL1/SSL2 conectins with login/cram-md5 authentication.

For sending E-Mails you need minimal 'ssmtp' and setup it in the muttrc
with:

    set sendmail="/usr/sbin/ssmtp -au <auth-user> -ap <auth-pass>"

and be happy.  I use it on my Toshiba T1950CT (486dx50, 12 MB memory)
which I use for testing networks.

> Cheers

Greetings
Michelle

                   50, rue de Soultz         MSM LinuxMichi