Adding thousands of emailaddresses or IPs is senseless.

I disagree. Accepting mail without verifying the recipient is idiocy, given the realities of the internet.

If you have no other choice, then I suggest that you configure a catch-all address on your courier system, and discard mail that's sent to it. A ".courier-default" file with one blank line should work.

I'm not accepting the mail. My provider is just forwarding the mails and courier nicely returns '550 User unknown.'.

Courier should not crash in the first place :)

It probably doesn't. It does, however, tarpit servers that send bad commands, including directing mail to non-existent users.

But I get lots of courieresmtpd processes hanging around doing nothing, eventually even becoming 'defunct' (zombie) with no apparent reason. All since lots of mails arrive for non existant users.

Is there a way to figure out what these processes are doing, or make courieresmtpd even more verbose than it already is?

Thomas
--

------------------------------------------------------- This SF.Net email is sponsored by: NEC IT Guy Games. Get your fingers limbered up and give it your best shot. 4 great events, 4 opportunities to win big! Highest score wins.NEC IT Guy Games. Play to win an NEC 61 plasma display. Visit http://www.necitguy.com/?r=20 _______________________________________________ courier-users mailing list courier-users@lists.sourceforge.net Unsubscribe: https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/courier-users